Friday, March 2, 2012

情繫啟德 Reminiscences of the Old Kai Tak Airport

The Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport lasted from 24 January 1925 till 6 July 1998 when it was moved to Chek Lap Kok, Lantau Island. It had accomplished its 74 years' function as an international airport on East Kowloon. A few years ago, I returned to Hong Kong and took some photos of the old airport site for recollection. I discovered in one of the photos that a man sitting on his bike looked perplexed.

It was this photo that brought me back to the reminiscence of my lives in this area:

* The Kowloon City roundabout had bus stations in existence since the 60s: I still remembered bus route #5 & 9 to Tsimshatsui Ferry Pier and route #13 to Jorden Ferry Pier.

* Kai Tak Airport Terminal: I went to the departure platform to see the planes in my adolescence and I liked to study in the waiting hall during my school years.

* The Prince Edward Road East: I used it daily as it was a main road to other places of Kowloon.

* Going movies: I always took bus to here and walked to the Dragon City Theatre and the International Theatre in the Walled City for Chinese movies. 

All these were reminiscence of my early lives in this area.

Canon PowerShot S3 IS, Nikon D40X, AF-DX18-200mm f/3.5-5.6

Album:  Click for more photos »

===================================

情繫啟德

香港啟德機場於1925年1月24啟用,到1998年7月6日遷拆,搬到大嶼山赤臘角。位處九龍城的啟德機場經74年便功成身退。早年返港拍下機場搬遷後所遺下的痕跡,在其中一張照片發現一位騎單車的工友,他落寞的神情,被我在拍攝截斷的天橋中一併攝入鏡頭。也因為這張照片,讓我返回少年時代在這區生活的點滴。
其中印象最深刻的是:
*  九龍城迴旋處的巴士站:仍記得5、9號車往尖沙咀;13號往佐敦道碼頭。
*  啟德機場乘客大樓:少年時代在送客台看飛機。中學時期在乘客大堂讀書。
*  機場外的太子道東:我每天坐車都要經過這裡。
*  乘車到這裡,走往九龍城的龍城戲院和國際戲院看電影。
以上種種,都是我過去成長經常到的地方。

Canon PowerShot S3 IS, Nikon D40X, AF-DX18-200mm f/3.5-5.6

Album:  點擊更多照片 »

No comments:

Post a Comment