Monday, January 21, 2013

Visiting Mau Wu Fortress 茅湖廢堡初探

This noon I had to go to the Star Ferry at Tsimshatsui of Hong Kong. In order to make full use of the morning session, I decided to go to Mau Wu Fortress at Tiu Keng Leng. I hoped to finish the trip within 3 hours. As such, I did a quick research: Mau Wu Fortress has more than 100 years. It was believed to be built in Ching Dynasty for the Chinese officials to undergo their marine and coastal observational duty through the windows of the round tower. A long stone house behind was suspected to be the dormitory for the duty officials.  Its roof was fallen but the wall was well-kept.

Trip: I got on the route 13 minibus at the Yue Man Square bus terminal at Kwun Tong and headed to the Haven of Hope Hospital at Tiu Keng Leng. It took 25 minutes to arrive there. Just going outside of the main gate of the hospital, I turned left and followed Po Lam Road South.  I reached the end of the road where the Po Chi Temple located. A flight of stone steps on the roadside led me to the trail going up to the fortress. I was lucky to have a lady morning hiker leading me to the right direction of the trip.

I was there taking photographs for 30 minutes.  I have enjoyed a wonderful scene mingled with the old fortress and new town.  I was deeply reminiscing!

Photo equipment:
Nikon D300s, Nikon GP-1 GPS
AF-zoom DX 17-55mm, f/2.8
iPhone 5




今天中午要趕往尖沙咀碼頭,為免浪費上午空餘的時間,我決定自行走訪調景嶺的茅湖廢堡。希望在三小時內完成旅程。臨行前,翻查資料。茅湖廢堡有超過100年的歷史,相傳是清朝期間,中國官員在茅湖山頭建了圓形的瞭望台,透過窗孔來觀察海岸情況。後面有一長形石室,金字頂已破壞,但大麻石砌建的牆壁仍保存良好。據說是作為官員的宿舍。

路程:我從官塘裕民坊巴士總站旁的小巴站,乘坐13號往靈實醫院小巴。車程約25分鐘抵達。從靈實醫院閘口往左,沿寶琳南路走,約30分鐘到達盡頭,是調景嶺前警署,現改為普慈寺院。旁邊有一度登山石級,是通往茅湖廢堡的山路。途中遇到一位熱心的女晨運客,她引領我走往登山的路徑。

我在廢堡停留了半小時和拍攝,欣賞了百年古建築與現代社會結合的環境,別有一番感受!

A panoramic view from the interior of the long stone house
從長形石室向外拍攝的全景照

The interior of the observatory tower in panorama
圓形瞭望塔內的全景照

A panoramic view from above
從高處鳥瞰廢堡全景照

The twigs on the roadside grew in beautiful shape and direction, a wonderful match with the buildings behind the scene.
路旁的樹桿伸往天空,形態萬千,襯托著遠處的建築群。

The white building at the end of the road is Po Chi Temple, originally was the Tiu Keng Ling Police Station.  A flight of staircases on the right of the road was leading to Mau Wu Fortress at the Peak.
小路的盡頭白色建築物是調景嶺舊警署,現改為普慈寺院。右面石級是登往茅望廢堡的山路。

The outside wall of the stone house is well kept and intact
長形石室外牆保存得較為完整

The fortress is facing the high-rises of Tiu Keng Leng, a contrast between old and new, past and present!
廢堡對著調景嶺新市鎮,是新與舊的對比!


The interior of the stone house
長形石室內面

Looking at the Tiu Keng Leng new town through a series of windows
我從一扇窗透過另外窗口外望調景嶺高廈

Finally the sun came out!
太陽從烏雲冒出來!

The other 3 frames of the scene
另外三個窗孔也分別顯示堡外風光

A flight of stone steps in the middle goes up to the top oh the fortress
左面長形石室和右面圓形瞭望塔之間有一度石䃈登上頂部。

Turning a new leaf from the old fortress?
圓形廢堡上生了野草,一片綠葉的生機?

Click to open more photos 點擊更多照片》



View Visiting Mau Wu Fortress in a larger map

8 comments:

  1. I like the blue color stones. It makes the place looking so rich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for uploading those beautiful photos. They bought me a lot of memory in Tiu Keng Leng, a very special historical place in Hong Kong. When I was a young boy, I went there numerous times in order to visit my brother who was boarding and studying in '慕德中學'. I went there on foot by climbing hills from Yau Tong. The most attractive sign when I arrived at Tiu Keng Leng was the four big words erected on the mountain '毋忘在莒'. I enjoyed also the quiet and beautiful environment when I was fishing at night on the small pier, where most people travel to and from Kowloon city. I am feeling sorry that I have not taken any photos in that time. Thanks again for uploading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter,
    Good photos. You must know the natural spots in Hong kong very well. Next time I go Hong kong, I should ask you for info. By the way I saw the photo of the Bluff Park, have you found the old church I mentioned there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet visited the Park since my last post on it. It seems that there is a church near the cliff but I am not sure if that is the one you mentioned.

      Delete
  4. 拍得很漂亮,設計很花心思,真的很好,會慢慢欣賞,謝謝你分享.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you excellent, should send these to the HK Govn to develop heritage interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EBDER+, Thanks for your visit to this blog and hope this will help articulate more heritage interest and attention to any individuals and parties concerned.

      Delete
  6. Hi Linda S,

    Thanks for your email. This is officially accepting your request to use my photos in your university assignment for research on Tiu Keng Ling and not for commercial purpose. Wishing you all the success in your endeavor.

    Regards,

    Peter

    ReplyDelete